Jang Do-yoon (Hangul: 장도윤, born August 31, 1995) is a South Korean actor. He made his acting debut in the 2013 drama special Happy! Rose Day. He is mainly known for being a possible member of the popular boy group Seventeen. His fans are called "Doflowers" or "도바라기" which combines the words "Doyoon" and "Sunflower".
August 31, 1995
|Agent||JB Entertainment (2013-present)|
|Revised Romanization||Jang Do-yun|
Doyoon went to Namsan High School in Busan before he moved to Seoul in 2011. After moving, he transferred to School of Performing Arts Seoul (SOPA), where he later graduated on February 13, 2014.
2011: Pledis Boys
Doyoon was a trainee under Pledis for 3 years, where he was an original Pledis Boy (a name given to the male trainees officially shown). The group of boys, which included members who would later join Nu'est and Seventeen, commonly appeared with their female label mates in their promotions, including Ceci Magazine and their SBS Gayo Daejun stage. They also appeared in Happy Pledis', the name used when Pledis artists promote as a whole, video for Love Letter, and promoted the song with Happy Pledis on Music Core.
In 2012, Pledis Boys was split into two groups, Nu'est (JR, Aron, Minhyun, Ren, & Baekho) and Tempest (Doyoon, Seungcheol, & Yusang), with both groups to debut in 2012. Tempest gained two new members, Jihun and Youngwon, and were put on the backburner as Nu'est was promoted more heavily. Pledis Boys as a whole released a limited magazine entitled "Pledis Boys Magazine". Nu'est debuted a week after the magazine's release, while Tempest went through lineup changes. Members Yusang and Youngwon departed, leaving Doyoon, Seungcheol, & Jihun. Tempest's plans were scrapped and the three were sent back to trainee status.
During the year, Doyoon appeared in multiple videos for his labelmates, including the debut music video of Nu'est and Hello Venus' debut teaser and debut music video.
After the scrapping of Tempest, Pledis released plans for a new boy group entitled "Seventeen". Initially, they were to debut by the end of the year with 17 members that had an average age of 17. The group would promote in South Korea, China, and Japan at the same time in 3 sub groups. After only a few months, the group's debut was pushed back to 2013. No member info was released, though fans speculated that the 3 members from the old Tempest were set to debut in the group.
Instead of debuting as official artists, Seventeen opened a web stream called "17tv" on ustream, showing the growth and training of the 11 possible members. Jihun was the only Tempest member to take part in the debut episode on December 24.
2013: Seventeen and acting debut
After making a guest appearance on an early episode, Doyoon, with Seungcheol, joined the lineup of possible Seventeen members when the second season of 17tv began in March 2013. He stayed on the show and took part in all of the activities of Seventeen, including multiple "shows" or concerts at the end of each season.
In December, Doyoon, with several other Seventeen members, appeared as back up dancers on SBS Gayo Daejun for label mate Hello Venus.
2014: Departure from Pledis and focus on acting
Doyoon's last appearance with Seventeen was in a YouTube video, released on March 14, or White's Day. Following activeness on Facebook, the creation of an Instagram account, and no appearances in Seventeen's few activities, fans began to speculate his departure.
On July 17, Doyoon was removed from the official Seventeen website, officially announcing his departure. Neither Pledis nor Doyoon commented or officially announced the departure.
On October 14, Doyoon posted a photo to his official Facebook revealing his casting in the upcoming movie Hiya. Originally planned for release in 2014, the movie was later pushed back to 2016. This was his first role since his debut over one year earlier. After the announcement of his role, fans began to believe that Doyoon had signed to Woollim Entertainment due to singer Hoya's role in the film and an online roleplay account that was mistaken for the real Doyoon.
On December 2, Doyoon opened his official fancafe. With the cafe, it was revealed that he had signed to acting agency JB Entertainment.
After filming Hiya, Doyoon gained a supporting role in the morning drama A Bird That Doesn't Sing as the main character's son. Due to his constant appearances in both main and subplots, Doyoon became more popular. With Choa and Way of Crayon Pop, Doyoon starred in the music video for "Road" by Bear Planet, the composer for Crayon Pop. He also started appearing in All About My Mom and The Promise. He was also announced to be in the upcoming movie Because I Love You.
In January, it was confirmed Hiya would be released in March. The film was released on March 4, 2016. Doyoon played the main role of Dokko Mo Ran in the drama adaptation of the popular webtoon Flower Family.
|2013||Drama Special "Happy! Rose Day"||Jin-ho||KBS2||One-episode special|
|2015||A Bird That Doesn't Sing||Oh Min-ki||tvN|
|2015-2016||All About My Mom||Park Seung-wan||KBS2|
|2016||The Promise||young Park Hwi-kyung||KBS2|
|Flower Family||Dokgo Mo-ran||MBC Every 1|
|2017||Because I Love You||Joseph|
|2011||Love Letter||Happy Pledis||Original|
|2012||Love Letter||Happy Pledis||Special Pledis Boys version|
|Hello||Hello Venus||Group teaser|
|2011||Music Core||Love Letter||Happy Pledis||Backup dancer|
|SBS Gayo Daejun||Party Rock Anthem||After School||Dancer|
|2013||Would You Like Some Tea||Hello Venus||Backup dancer|
|2016–present||Saturday Night Live Korea||Himself||Cast Members|
- [필독] 팬클럽명 결정 안내 및 회원 필독 공지사항. daum (in Korean). 4 February 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- thunderstix (24 November 2011). "Pledis Boys Revealed in Ceci Magazine Photo Shoot". soompi. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- 이정혁 (29 December 2011). 플레디스 보이즈, 오늘(29일) 가요대전 통해 모습 전격 공개 [출처] 본 기사는 조선닷컴에서 작성된 기사 입니다. chosun (in Korean). Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- small_smiley (30 November 2011). "Pledis Entertainment Unveils Full MV for "Happy Pledis LOVE LETTER"". soompi. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Happy Pledis performs "Love Letter" on Music Core". allkpop. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "NU'EST releases 'Pledis Boys Magazine' ahead of their March debut". allkpop. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Pledis Entertainment to debut a 17 member boy group this year". allkpop. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Pledis to debut 17-member boy group Seventeen next year". allkpop. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Pledis Entertainment reveals eclectic teasers for 'Seventeen TV' to promote upcoming boy group Seventeen". allkpop. 17 December 2012. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "[SEVENTEEN Profile] - Jang Do Yoon / 장도윤 / チャン・ドユン". facebook (in English, Korean, and Japanese). 24 May 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- pkdance (28 May 2013). "Seventeen unveil member profiles for Jang Doyoon, Chwe Hansol, and Wen Junhui". allkpop. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- 세븐틴 세 번째 콘스트, 다양한 무대로 팬들 매료. hankyung (in Korean). 26 November 2013. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- jennywill (17 August 2013). "Who was the pretty boy in KBS' drama special 'Happy! Rose Day'?". allkpop. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- 장재연 (16 August 2013). "'Happy! 로즈데이' 도윤(Do Yoon), '풋풋한 꽃미남' 시선 집중". topstarnews (in Korean). Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Sylphid (29 December 2013). "2013 SBS Gayo Daejun Performances". soompi. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- SEVENTEEN (14 March 2014). "[ETC] SEVENTEEN's Happy White Day!! - YouTube". youtube (in Korean). Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- 장도윤 (2 March 2012). "FROM.도윤 안녕 여러분들..♥". daum (in Korean). Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Rookie Jang Do-yoon to star in Birds Don't Cry". Hancinema. 20 April 2015. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- thewesterngirl (21 July 2015). "Film 'Because I Love You' secures its star-studded cast including Cha Tae Hyun, Kim Yoo Jung, & more!". allkpop. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- JiwonYu (28 January 2016). "INFINITE Hoya's Film "Hiya" Finally Confirmed to Premiere". soompi. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Han Jihee (28 January 2016). 인피니트 호야-안보현 영화 ‘히야’ 3월 개봉 확정 ‘스크린 첫 데뷔’. getitk (in Korean). Retrieved 15 March 2016.